We’ve sold…. 6 weeks, 4 days and counting before we can move in though!

I feel like the Tasmanian devil or whatever that whirlwind cartoon is called!  I haven’t stopped.  However we have some fantastic news:

 
WE HAVE EXCHANGED ON THE FARM!!!!!

What a huge relief.  I cannot beging to tell you how stressed we have been over the last feww weeks or so.  I can feel it melting away though I have been left with the worst headache!

We don’t actually move in until 15th January but we are counting the days 1 by 1.  Currently we’re living at a family member’s house who is working out of the country for the most part of that time, so we’ve very lucky in that respect.  Having said that it isn’t easy to up sticks into temporary accomodation, only to do it again in 6 weeks and 4 days!

So in the mean time, we now need to order the stables, plan the deliveries required to get the horses to the farm and think about what livestock we will want and when. 

I’m going to keep a notebook with me for the next few weeks as I have a feeling “good ideas” will come at the most inappropriate times.

Let the countdown begin!

House number 2!

What a stressful time moving is turning out to be!  I use moving in the loosest of terms as we’re not moving anywhere just yet!  The first farmhouse has fell through as the valuation on it came back at 25k less than we’d offered to pay and the owner wouldn’t budge at all.  So we walked away.  The house was fabulous and the land was everything we wanted and more, but we wouldn’t pay more than it was worth.  There is too much to do to it to bring it up a decent standard of living and we’d be behind before we started financially, should we ever have had to sell it!

So we quickly set about looking for a new house and viewed four in one weekend.  Each viewing takes up to 1.5 hours depending on how much land comes with it, how big the house is, what outbuildings there are and so on.  We really loved the third farmhouse we viewed that weekend.

After much discussion we put an offer in which was rejected, as was our subsequent offer.  A day or two went by and we waited for them to come back and change their minds.  They didn’t.  I had a growing feeling that we were making a mistake by not upping our offer as the house is perfect and the land is pretty near perfect too.  We could afford the asking price but nobody pays the asking price these days, right?

Well after much to-ing and fro-ing, we settled on a figure which was 10k below the asking price and showed at least a small amount of flexibility from the owner.  That was Thursday 17th September 2015! 

Since then we have sat through the mortgage application again, updated the solicitors, took a hit in the form of a £95 fee for work done on the one that fell through, been asked to move out by end of September and had a whole bunch of paperwork sent through, processed and returned.  Of course we can’t move out by the end of September. 

Where do we stand as of today?  Well the valuation is being completed on Wednesday 7th October and then hopefully the mortgage should be issued shortly after that without any hiccups.  The searches have already been issued and should be back in line with the mortgage being issued.  We’re waiting on the property information form from the people who we are buying from.  That will make for interesting reading.

I’m tentatively hoping for 26th November at the latest but wishing for a lot sooner.

Did I mention it has an Aga?