Once the animals are fed, he collects the eggs, using any bucket he can lay his hands on to do so. This one being an empty horse supplement bucket that Jill uses who keeps her horse with us. It’s a job he can do himself and I like the sense of achievement he gets from it. Looks like he does too?
Below I have kale and spinach in the left hand tray – spinach hasn’t germinated yet, if at all. Kale shot up so I won’t sow these 2 together again. Then aubergine and beef tomatoes in the bag. They’re next to my indoor peas which I sowed at the same time as the ones in the greenhouse (which are just starting to germinate so a week or 2 behind these). The tray to the right is tomatoes, different varieties and 2 or 3 of each.
I made a bold move this weekend and binned the weaker seedlings and only kept a few strong ones of each. I felt like I was doing something wrong throwing seedlings out!
I made a start on the plastic bottles that we had saved (Ste uses them for water in his gym) and am keeping them to use as mini greenhouses/cloches for when plants are put out or maybe for direct sowings to help germinate. I’ve cut the bottom off so canes can be put through the hole in the lid, to support the bottle from flying away.
My bare root comfrey arrived. I ordered 5 from ebay and to be honest when they turned up, I wondered what on earth they were! However after a quick chat with Dawn and an email from the seller, I filled a container with damp compost, placed the roots in and covered with a touch more compost then wet newspaper. I’ll see where to roots grow from then plant them up when the weather warms a bit.
One thing I was really excited about was the piquant seeds Dawn sent me when she offered them on her blog. The seeds originally came from Dani on Eco Footprint South Africa and I shall be offering mine when they are ready too. I think it’s a lovely way of keeping this little pepper family going.
Not just 1, but 2!
You may have guessed from the last post or 2, Ste had a couple of holidays to use so took 2 days off. After putting the new gate up at the weekend, he kept up the pace by working on the new veg garden that we’re putting in. I say we as he builds it, I’ll grow in it.
We have the 3 raised beds that he made and filled with muck already this year.
With more of the same wood, which we bought specifically for this job to keep things looking nice, he’s made another bed which will become The Pumpkin Patch for 2017 (I always wanted one from reading about them in books as a kid!)
|Taken from the other angle.|
He actually finished them but I don’t have a photo of the cold frames woodwork finished as it was dark when I went to see them after work.
We need to source some glass/plastic for the top of them but have been told to be careful as certain corrugated plastic removes much needed rays from the sun that the plants need to grow?
Either way – we’re really getting ready for the 2017 and beyond self sufficient veg challenge!
Ste’s been busy as usual.
Our outside space was pretty open plan when we moved in. That’s because the previous owners had never owned an animal on it in their 27 years of living on it. It was a larger farm when they owned it too, it was split and sold off (subsequently making them millionaires, so I am guessing they knew that on day 1). Anyway, I digress.
So when we moved in, to keep animals where they are supposed to be, we started putting fences up and where we needed gates, we used temporary measures.
This weekend we were very busy with family joining us on Saturday evening and friends on Sunday. We had to fit in all of the usual jobs plus put the polytunnel up too. So Saturday we set to work. I did the usual horses and house jobs then joined Ste with the polytunnel. He started putting the frame together in the barn. The weather wasn’t very kind on Saturday but he soldiered on. I was asked to hold this, lift that and straighten the other. In no time at all we had the frame up.
Buddy helped out where he could making sure he checked the bucket’s didn’t have anything worth eating in them and having the odd drink or 2.
Ryan supervised the whole situation.
Day 2 saw the cover go on. This is where it started to get tricky. It was very tight and I can see the zips ripping in no time. We managed it though and as it has a 12 month guarantee I’ll be sure to keep that in case I need to get a new one.
Then being amazing, Ste knocked up a couple of raised beds and attached them to the frame that’s there (this is how we put the PT up, this is not what’s in the manual). The weight of that wood will not let that frame go anywhere. We also dug a trench around the polytunnel and buried the cover in it.
All in all I am really pleased. I think it looks great and it’s ready to provide us some food in the coming year.
In between holding and lifting, I sowed some seeds, clipped off some of the strawberries that I’d taken from runners and forgotten about and gave some of the veg plot a tidy up, giving the chickens their treats too.
I also finally got my potatoes chitting.